That was far more than my mom could read (or that I wanted to carry around or store at home) so I would sort them out, pass on those Mom didn't want, and then take the rest to her to read.
This book was one that I read first before giving it to my mother.
A book on one of my favorite historical figures, Helen Keller!
And a first edition, too!
After Mom died, I found the book in her personal items and took it home again. I wanted to pass it on to someone, but to whom? And then it hit me - I knew someone else who looked up to Helen Keller as much as I did.
My friend, Kathy Nimmer.
Kathy is a teacher, and a darn good one. So good, in fact, that she was named Indiana Teacher of the Year in 2015.
She's also blind, and navigates around Harrison High School with help from her guide dogs (pictured is Elias who has since been retired.)
I texted her and offered Kathy the book; the answer was a resounding "Yes!!" And so, while she was at Hershey yesterday mentoring a new teacher, we met before class and I gave her the book.
I'm glad the book is again in the hands of someone who will appreciate and value it.



No comments:
Post a Comment