Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Rock Star Moment

Being recognized when you are out and about town is a common thing when you are a teacher. And it isn't always a student who you know or who has been in your class - sometimes the child running up to you crying, "Hi, Mrs. I!" is totally unfamiliar to you. (I just smile and say, "You must go to Hershey," and their little faces light up because you KNOW them. Think Elf and you've got it.)

Lisa and I call those "rock star moments" and they make us both smile. And they happen because we are seen around the school, at assemblies, and on morning announcements. You may not know all 500+ kids at your school, but they sure know you!

Like this:
The day after I won my award, Linda asked me to be on morning announcements so that she could honor me in front of the whole school.
 It was a bit outside my comfort zone, so I just sat there quietly.
 Until she pulled out the Hershey tiara.
And the Hershey pink boa (which sheds badly - I picked up a lot of feathers before I finally decided to take it off.)
It was lovely to be recognized and has led to more rock star moments with Hershey kids I do not know but who walk up to me and share congratulations.

But that's not a bad thing. In fact, it's been fun, and I am touched by the sweetness of the children who come up to me and say something.