It only happens every two years - the year West Side plays Twin Lakes at home and they hold Cow Plop Bingo! I anticipated Friday's game all week.
First, though, we went to dinner. We love local, hole-in-the-wall type places, and this week Craig found a doozy - Broadway Joe's Double Dog Dare You! It is a hotdog and burger spot in an old gas station. I was VERY doubtful when we rolled up to it and saw what it looked like. But the food was good and the employees friendly and easy to be around which is very typical of small-town Indiana.
Just like this sign that was on the wall:
Check out those prizes! Yep! Small town Indiana, for sure!We finished our meal and headed off to the football field. Sure enough, as soon as we had paid for our tickets and walked in, I spied the stock pen.
A bingo grid was painted in it, so I knew that Cow Plop Bingo was on for the night!
There was a strong wind and it was very chilly. Lisa, Craig, and I huddled together for warmth. (Craig is my own portable furnace. Very handy to have around.)
At halftime, Nola was led onto the field by her handler.
She strode out as though she was an old pro - which she is; this was her fourth time to play the game!
It still boggles my mind that a cow is allowed on the field where the boys play, but like I said, small town Indiana and all that. Many of these kids are farm kids and a little manure doesn't bother them.Nola plopped not once but twice, but only the first plop counted. When the game was over, she was led off the field and happened to be on the path as we were exiting. We stopped and chatted with her handler, a very avid 4-H leader, who told us that Nola was a rare red Holstein and have been named champion at the White County Fair two years in a row.
Such a fun night. And now we have to wait two years for the next round of Cow Plop Bingo. But it will be worth the wait.

No comments:
Post a Comment