Native Americans is the topic of an Independent Study currently going on in my classroom. The kiddos have selected tribes to research, and I give them time during the day to read, take notes, and write their papers.
One girl, studying the Pawnees, brought her book to my desk this morning as we were working. In it was an explanation of a dance that depicted a gruesome tribal ritual. She was a bit upset by it, so I talked with her about how this was only a dance and that the dancers were just pretending. No one was actually hurt during the dance. (I didn't explain that the dance was also a depiction of what they planned to do to their enemies.)
She seemed reassured and went back to her seat.
A few minutes later, she was back at my desk, clutching the book to her chest and her eyes the size of saucers.
"Mrs. I!! Read this!" And she thrust the book towards me with her finger under the word "humanitarian."
"Yes, that's right," I replied. "That tribe member was known for being a humanitarian."
I did not think her eyes could get any bigger, but they did.
"But... but... THAT'S AWFUL!" she sputtered.
"Why?" I said. "Doing good to others is a good thing."
And then you could see understanding dawn across her face. Along with a healthy dose of embarrassment.
"Oh," she responded meekly. "I thought a humanitarian was sort of like a vegetarian, only a humanitarian ate humans."
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment