Sunday, March 15, 2020

Surgery Prep

As my surgery approaches, I have been following the news about COVID-19 carefully. Since my surgery is not an emergency, it is considered elective, and some hospitals in the area are no longer performing elective surgeries in order to free up rooms and doctors for patients ill with this newest coronavirus.

I went down to Indianapolis to meet with my surgeon a couple of weeks ago and had my preops done while I was there. They expire a month after they have been done; if my surgery has to be postponed, then I may have to do them all over again. (Would my insurance cover that expense? Or would I have to? A question to ask, for sure!)
The rolling bag containing all my preop/preparation devices and prescriptions that they gave me along with my purse while I was at the surgeon's office. 
Some of my preparation materials.

Yesterday, the surgeon's office called me to let me know that my surgery was still scheduled but I was cautioned that, "Things can change quickly." I asked if I should begin drinking my Impact Immunonutrition, a prescription drink that is very expensive. I am supposed to drink three of them a day. I was directed to go ahead and start.
I do hope that I can have the surgery as scheduled. While I am a little self conscious about the "baby bump" (as Craig and I call it) that is so visible, there is a bigger issue than that. The bulge is so large that, while I can still snap my jeans, pants, and skirts, it is VERY uncomfortable when I do so. That makes it hard to go out in public. (Although I am staying home most of the time in order to stay healthy for the surgery. I don't want to postpone it like I had to in August.)

I guess time will tell; in the meantime, I am on pins and needles as I prepare. Wish me luck!





No comments: