It might be years later that this happens, but the long wait only makes it all the sweeter and more humbling. To know that you are remembered after many years is a beautiful feeling.
A few weeks ago I was quite surprised to see myself tagged on Facebook in a post about a former student who had just received a scholarship to a university in track. I was thanked for what I had done for him and acknowledged as someone who had made a difference. That post made me smile and provided the affirmation that I had made some sort of difference in his life.
A request for prayers for her son.
It is one thing to be told of an accomplishment of a former student, or for them to just say they were thinking of me - all good and welcome things. But a prayer request goes deeper than that.
It says that they recognized your own Christianity, that they recognized that aspect in your life and connected with it, enough so that, when there is a struggle, they think of you and want you to add your prayers to theirs. Even thought it is seven years later.
I can do that.
And it doesn't matter what the request is about, either. In this case, her mama heart is hurting as she watches her son's anguish. I know that pain, and I do not dismiss it as, "Oh, he will get over it - just a bump on life's road." I think Heavenly Father listens to all our prayers because if it is important to us, it is important to Him.
This now-hurting student was at my surprise retirement party last May, even though he was risking missing the team bus to a track meet and had to leave early. It meant a lot to me that he came. He was a great guy when he was in my class, and it was super to see that he still was a thoughtful, caring young man.
I am honored that, in a time of stress and difficulty, I had the opportunity to pray for a wonderful young man. And for his family.


No comments:
Post a Comment