Friday, October 12, 2018

Mom's Tree - First Anniversary

It was one year ago today that a Burr Oak was planted on the Battlefield in memory of my mother. (Go here to read about the planting.) I resolved that day to visit it every year on the planting date (October 12) and take some photos. I would love for my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to be able to see how it was when planted compared to when they are visiting in the future.

So, today Craig and I drove out to the Battlefield to take those photos.
 
2018 - Looking west with the iron fence at our backs.
 2018 - me next to the tree. (Drat! The top isn't in the picture!)
2017 - me next to the tree (and no top showing, either! Haha!) I do think that you can see it has gotten taller, though.
2018 - a photo where you can see the height of the whole tree compared to me. I'll be sure to use this one next year for comparison.
2018 - Craig.
2017 - Craig and me.

 This first year flew by with many life changes for me (retirement) and our family (Lukas' and Susan's births.) During the year I drove by the tree (it is close enough to be seen from the road) five or six times to check on it - after an unusually brutal winter, we were pleased to see it sprouting leaves in the spring.

Last Christmas we hung a glass ornament of an apple basket on the tree, but the wind blew it off and it shattered. This year I plan to find something plastic or possible resin to hang.

It's odd, but in some ways I feel closer to my mother at her tree than I do at her grave. I love this living reminder of her in a place that she loved.

No comments: