Friday, July 25, 2014

Advice from My Children

Last year, I decided I would join my family in their love of football. I figured it was best to start small and local, so I followed Purdue's college team from the beginning of training camp in August to the bitter end in November. It was a lousy season with Purdue going 1-11, but I learned a lot about the game.

(Attending the West Lafayette High School games in the fall doesn't count as learning about football - I go for the social aspects of being with Craig and enjoy sitting outside on lovely fall nights!)

This year, my goal is to learn about it by following a pro team. My family will tell you that I like the Colts and Broncos because their mascots are horse-related (which is true), but I figured I should find a team that I liked for football reasons, not mascot ones.

Asking my kids which teams they followed seemed like a good idea so I sent them all a quick text (except for Curt; I asked him in person.) Their initial responses were remarkable similar.

Me: What is your favorite NFL team?

Sarah: I'm still my father's daughter. (Which means she roots for the Packers.)

Jessica: I don't really have one. Andrew likes the Seahawks so I have a Seahawks jersy. Why do you ask?

Kyle: I don't know that I have one. Why do you ask?

Lisa: Hmmmm. I would have to say Green Bay. Why?

Curt: The Patriots. Why do you ask?

Cole: The Jets. Why?

I was taken aback that they wondered why I wanted to know. But, I haven't traditionally been a follower of football, especially NFL, so perhaps that was a reasonable response and I should have clarified why I was asking. So I did.

Me: I started following college football last year and want to pick an NFL team for this year.

Jessica: I much prefer college myself. I don't really follow NFL. Especially since they play on Sundays and we try not to watch TV on Sundays.

Kyle: Ah. Well, I used to like the Dolphins (Starter jacket). And EverBank's name is on the Jaguar's field. Still don't follow them, though.

Lisa: Haha. Nice. I prefer college over NFL, though.

And a couple of them even gave me some very welcome advice!

Jessica: I would recommend the Colts if you want to get into the NFL. There is a local connection, probably a lot of fans in your area so you can talk to other people about the team. And they are a good team. Broncos are fun to watch as well. Plus you can connect with Sarah's family and they have Peyton Manning.

Curt: Well, you really ought to follow the Colts. They're more local and you will be able to read more coverage about them around here. Plus, you will be able to talk to your friends who probably are Colts fans.

Cole: Oh, don't pick the Jets! It's a terrible emotional roller coaster. Go with the Packers!

What's interesting to me is that I had three teams in mind, and my children recommended all three: Colts, Packers, and Broncos!

So then I took a look at each team that my children had mentioned, beginning with the Colts.
Hmmm. Local and horse related. But you know what? It has always bothered me that the nail placement on the horseshoe is wrong. Silly, perhaps, but it does. They should look like this:
But I am not sure that that is enough to rule them out (even though it really does bother me - the horse would go lame!)

What about the Broncos? Sarah and Todd live in their  home city, a nice plus.
And I really like the stylized orange and blue horse head. And, Anne Judge-Wegener, the "Girl on a Horse" (I say that lightly because she is 56 years old) went to school with me and graduated from Harrison. So there *is* a local connection of some sort.

My Dad liked the Packers, and Craig certainly does.
But aside from that, I really don't feel a pull to follow them, so I'm going to cross them off.

Which leaves the Colts and the Broncos.

The two horse-related ones I already was inclined to root for.

Interesting that the advice from my children led me right back to where I began!

No comments: