Sometimes when looking at student work, I cannot help but smile. It may be something that has a bit of whimsy in it, or it may be their unique perspective. Other times they answer a question and then add a personal comment. I never know what hidden gems I am going to uncover when grading!
Here are a few examples.
GH drew this charming picture of Neil Armstrong on the moon when he made his unit cover for Space. I think it is one of my favorites ever!
CP added a personal comment to a response to a Social Studies question and the use of caravels in the 1500s to connect the Old World to the New.
"The fastest way to connect people on different continents was they had to put the letter on the ship and have someone sail and deliver it, then sail all the way back! In my opinion, this does NOT sound fun for a job." (CP, I agree!)
Parent/Teacher conferences are this coming week, and I always let my students have a voice in their conference by filling out a form for their folks. I never know what will pop up on those!
RP had a unique way of describing his favorite subject, Math.
"Math just reached out to me and grabbed me and I'm fast doing Math and it is fun to me."
I love the "reached out and grabbed me" part!
RR feels strongly about Science as her favorite subject.
"The sky is the limit! It is fun in science because we make it fun, like last time our unit was heat and we made solar ovens."
Interesting that she likens it to being limitless like the sky.
JS has a wonderful perspective on Reading.
"My favorite subject is reading because it takes me on an adventure."
(This from a very sporty boy who, as a 4th grader last year, preferred to either not read or to only read books about baseball and football!)
Another surprise for me came from SS, a 4th grade girl who struggles to keep up in class.
"... I like to think about how the story will end and then be blown away when the book ends."
(She had just finished reading The One Hundred and One Dalmatians which does have a surprise ending you don't see coming at all!)
Finally, another girl who weighs in on reading.
"...I love to hear stories and when I read I get teleported to the place where the book is happening." (Me, too, AY! Me, too!)
Grading can point out the joys of being with children each day.
Sunday, October 11, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment