Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Value of Conferencing

I love parent/teach conferences. Despite the fact that the preparation for them takes a lot of time (I was at school last Saturday until 7:30 PM) and that the week of conferences is a bear because you are meeting with families before and after school along with getting the usual teaching, grading, planning, and preparing done, they are valuable and worthwhile.

Mine usually go well, although sometimes I am nervous about one or two. But regardless of a child's struggles, there are always many good things to say, and those tougher things can be sandwiched between the positives.

One of my fourth graders is on the spectrum for Autism and has had a rough adjustment to the class. I've been working with the special ed teacher, the principal, the school counselor, and his parents as we try to smooth his transition into the 4/5 High Ability class. It's been nine weeks and while he is doing better, he still struggles.

His parents are wonderfully supportive, and have worked with me this fall as I try to get their son up to speed and to minimize his meltdowns. I've had to send them some emails with tough news and despite that, they continue to hear what I have to say instead of getting defensive, blaming me for his problems, etc.

Yesterday we met for an hour and a half for our conference. The principal, special ed teacher, and counselor also joined us and we had a lengthy but productive session brainstorming ideas to help this child find success at school.

Later that day, I got an email from his mother.

I was very pleased with the meeting. The school seems open to trying new things and we are working to find out what to do.  I think you are the key to much of the puzzle because you spend so much time with him.  I understand that he will take more reassurance and prep work than other kids.  But I want you to know that you are changing his life right now.  Other teachers, other schools may have given up trying so hard. 

Thank you again.  I'm sure that we will have lots of talks over the next weeks but I feel hopeful that we've turned a corner with him.

I, too, feel we have turned a corner with her son. And, that that over-long conference time will prove invaluable as we continue to work together in his behalf.

No comments: