Teaching gifted kids? A BLAST.
Gifted kiddos often have a real joy in learning coupled with quirky behavior, and I give TSC full marks for providing a place for them to let loose and be themselves. (TSC provided gifted education before it was mandated by the state.) More than once a student has confided to me that they can "be themselves" because they are with other children "just like me."
I've had quirky kids and I've had QUIRKY kids. BP falls in the latter group.
That's BP behind me in the green tee shirt and glasses.
BP is very typical in that he loves Minecraft and Legos.
Here he is opening a model he made out of Legos for a project. He insisted on "unveiling" it instead of just opening the box.He is a super fun kid with a terrific sense of humor. He also is unafraid to use his imagination and is quite playful. Every single day he hides at dismissal time, wanting me to find him before the bell rings. "You saw my legs, didn't you?" he asked yesterday as I quickly discovered his most recent hiding place. (Yes, I had seen those legs peeking out.)
He also loves Math, and enjoys joking with the terms and vocabulary associated with that subject. We're studying fractions now, and he calls two halves "two tooths" and three thirds "three threeths" with a very big grin.
But this playfulness means that he works more slowly than his classmates.
Thursday he was doing his Math assignment, and as usual, was the last one working. He approached my desk and asked me a question about a problem. I explained it to him, and as he walked away, he murmured to himself, "I only have two left to do."
And then, to my surprise, he flung both arms into the air in exultation and loudly cried, "The route to easy land!!"
I have NO idea what he was talking about, but it certainly was a typical BP sort of comment!


No comments:
Post a Comment