Friday, January 18, 2019

Owing a Piece of Sam Savitt Art

Growing up, I devoured books on horses. Not only did I frequent the library, but my parents bought me many, many fiction and nonfiction books, always about horses.

Often they were illustrated by Sam Savitt. This particular book was my favorite.
Until I got my first horse, Amy, when I was twelve, Sam Savitt's illustrations figuratively took me to the barn and other places,
allowing me to dream of someday owning a horse of my own. (Photos retrieved from Google Images.)

Recently while reading an article in Untacked written by Sam Savitt's son, Roger, I discovered that the Savitt family was selling off the artist's original artwork. I had to read that twice before it really sank in - I could own a real piece of Sam Savitt art! Not a print or a reproduction, but an original!

The magazine listed the web site (SamSavittArt.com) and I clicked over there as fast as I could. There was a large assortment and a range of prices. Honestly, I felt the prices were reasonable, especially when you consider who the artist was. I decided to splurge and get myself a piece to have for myself.

A flurry of emails between Roger Savitt and myself followed; the first picture that I wanted had just sold, but Roger found another piece, not yet listed for sale, that he offered to me for the same price. I liked it even better than the first and quickly popped a check into the mail.
A large envelope arrived Friday, but I could not bring myself to open it right away. I had to savor the fact that, sitting on my kitchen counter was some original Sam Savitt art.
I opened it Saturday. There were three layers of very stiff cardboard inside the envelope. And the picture was tucked into a protective plastic sleeve.
 It's a pencil drawing on 8x11 paper.
 I would have recognized it as having been done by Sam Savitt even without the signature!
 I cried as I looked at the horse - Savitt's illustrations were a huge part of my childhood!
I am still pinching myself, and I'm heading out to get it framed.

Thank you, Roger Savitt!


No comments: