I sang this piece, Selig sind de Toten (Blessed are the Dead) by Heinrich Schutz (1585 - 1672) when I sang with The Madrigal Singers in Champaign, Illinois. It has to be one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever sung.
You can listen to a rendition of it here.
It still gives me chills as I listen to it. Tears.
Charis writes today in her blog about the composer and how he endured terrible deprivation in his life, yet instead of sinking down and wallowing in the depths, continued to write uplifting, beautiful music which still brings joy to us 400 odd years later. Then she compares that to the tendency of today's authors, musicians, and others to write using ugly language and celebrate the evils of the world through their talents. "After all, everybody speaks like that," she has been told.
I'm with Charis and Schutz on this one. Yes, there are terrible things in our world, no argument about that. But I choose to keep my focus on the things around us that are lovely, good, and uplifting.
Thank you, Heinrich Schitz, and others like him as well as those today who use their gifts and talents to celebrate that which is good.
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment