Monday, June 23, 2014

Tree Swallows

Tree swallows love our neighborhood. They decided early on that the newspaper boxes attached to our mailboxes make perfect nest boxes, causing most of us to keep something in the box to keep the birds out.

They're beautiful birds, with iridescent green or blue feathers, and will defend their nests fiercely, repeatedly diving almost to the point of touching you, all the while scolding you with angry clicks and squawks.
Years ago Kyle made me a bird house in Boy Scouts. It has been hanging on a shepherd's crook in our yard since we moved in, and almost every year a brood of tree swallows has begun life in it. This year is no exception.

Last night I was on the back porch filling my bird feeders. The swallow parents decided I was too close to their premises.
In the lower righthand corner you can see the birdhouse on the hook. And above, one of the birds making a beeline for me. I grabbed my camera and began paparazzi-snapping, hoping to get a good close up.
And I did. The bird came within inches of my face. Brave little bird!!

Then I figured, in for a penny, might as well go for a pound, so I hurried over to the birdhouse, held my camera up to the opening, and again snapped a few shots, hoping to get a picture of the babies.
Success! Look at the bottom left - see the nestling? I am not sure if the other shape above it is a baby or just some nesting material.

Then I hustled away from the nest and into the house. I didn't want to upset the parents too much, nor did I want them to abandon their brood.

After all, it's THEIR yard, isn't it??

No comments: