Occasionally I talk to the ceiling. It's a form of prayer, but different from the kneeling kind. Usually talking to the ceiling involves a heartfelt plea of some sort, and often is prompted by immediacy.
Last night was a talk to the ceiling kind of night. It was coupled with a few tears as well and prompted by a text from Lisa saying she'd landed in Denver and her flight to Provo had been canceled because the plane had issues and could not fly.
Then another text came along that the airline had informed her that they'd lost her luggage, so she was stranded with only her purse.
And at that point I talked to the ceiling.
Lisa has been facing a lot of challenges recently. While here for Thanksgiving, she got a call saying her condo had been sold and that she had to move out by December 31. But since she was flying to Indiana December 14, that meant she had to be moved out before that. It was finals week for her and she was apartment hunting and then moving. Very, very stressful for her. (I talked to the ceiling then, too.)
After standing in line to get on an alternative plane, Lisa was told all were booked and that she could not get a flight to Provo until today. She had a mandatory student teaching orientation meeting this afternoon, and waiting to fly home was not an option.
So, our daughter had to rent a car and drive all night through remote areas of Colorado and Utah. Alone. In the winter. In the Rocky Mountains.
I talked to the ceiling, and I was most definitely in mama bear mode. I pointed out how many challenges He kept throwing at Lisa, and that maybe it was time to let her catch her breath. I knew He understood where I was coming from, but I also realized it is not my place to tell the Lord what to do. Nonetheless, I expressed my dismay and concerns about my daughter.
Craig stayed up most of the night keeping in contact with her via text. The airline found her luggage, and we encouraged her to stop in Grand Junction, Colorado and catch a few hours of sleep in a motel (which she did.) Craig's on the phone with her now, and she's preparing to hit the road in a few minutes.
I'm going to talk to Him again, only this time mama bear mode is off, and I will thank Him for understanding me and my heartfelt pleas on her behalf, and that she's safe and going to make her meeting.
And I will probably slip in a "please give her a break from all these upheavals," too.
Friday, January 4, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Mom, I just got internet after a few days, so I just saw this. Believe it or not, I think the talk to the ceiling helped. Thanks for doing it for me! I love you.
Post a Comment